People Finder Online User Guide
Purpose of People Finder
The purpose of People Finder is to provide a web-enabled database that contains contact information for Vanderbilt faculty, staff, departments/organizations and students. The People Finder database will be used in populating Vanderbilt's printed directory.
How Contact Information Appears in People Finder
New faculty, staff and departments are added daily to People Finder from updates made in the Human Resources System. Once information is in People Finder, faculty and staff members and the department's directory responsible person can modify contact information.
Student contact information available in People Finder is maintained by the University Registrar's Office. Once information is accessed in People Finder, students with a valid VUnetID and e-password will have the ability to edit their Preferred Name and Other Phone Numbers, choose what information will be displayed, and link to the online student address change application. To change other information, students must visit the University Registrar's Office, 134 Magnolia Circle.
How to Keep Your Contact Information Out of People Finder
To prevent your contact information from appearing in People Finder, you must:
- Faculty and Staff – Request permission from your supervisor.
- Students – Put a directory hold on your record.
Features and Benefits
- Internal Vanderbilt community view of default information, as well as, all other information that an individual chooses to make public.
- External community view of limited information.
- The ability for authenticated individuals to maintain their own data. (Must authenticate using e-password.)
- Ability for a directory responsible person to add and edit information for individuals in their department.
- Ability for a directory responsible person to maintain department and sub-office information.
- Ability to add additional contact information, such as cellular phones, pagers and a personal or shared URL.
- Ability to display student information.
- Integration with the existing student change of address process.